All about the software

Minitioune and UHD displays

Messagede m0xtd » Mar 19 Fév 2019 14:42

Hi all,

This is a note, partially for reference but also for interest on configurations of UHD displays, multiple graphics cards and problems running MiniTioune.

I upgraded my laptop to a UHD display (3840x2140) and set about reinstalling all of my applications.
The laptop(an i7) uses an Intel HD Graphics 630 interface controlling the LCD display and an NVIDIA Quatro P4000 for any external display. The NVIDIA card had 8GB of dedicated memory.

When I first installed MiniTioune, all the drivers, graphs etc installed correctly and I could easily verify that they had installed. Using the TestMyMiniTiouner_v2.0a.exe tool, the MiniTiouner was successfully detected and the USB I2C performance was up in the top 80/low 90 % area.
However, when I came to run CheckMiniTiouneDriverAndFilters_V0_5a.exe, I got the error as shown
d3d9 error.png
d3d9 error.png (30.78 Kio) Vu 16637 fois
and nothing else happened.

However MiniTioune_V0_8s.exe ran after double clicking on it albeit, after receiving this as an error
videogrf.png
videogrf.png (8.58 Kio) Vu 16637 fois
. The only indication that something was wrong was the red indicator in MiniTioune for the "Graph"

After much back and forth with Jean-Pierre, we couldn't get anything to work, despite Jean-Pierre also using UHD displays for his setup and on his laptop.

Eventually, I dropped the resolution on my display to FHD (1920x1080) and tried again and this time both the CheckMiniTiouneDriverAndFilters_V0_5a.exe and MiniTioune_V0_8s.exe ran without errors.
I restored the resolution back to UHD, and again, the two programs continued to work successfully.

Until last week.
I had the two errors shown above appear again and no amount of changing the resolution would work this time. D3D9.dll kept faulting when the check program was run, and MiniTioune would not show any decoded video. All the usual Windows checking (sfc \scannow etc) did not reveal any issues with the integrity of my Windows installation.

Again, with huge help from Jean-Pierre, the whole installation was double checked and the only conclusion that could be found was that there must be some corruption in the D3D9.dll file.
In Windows 10, this is part of the base operating system and not an installable update. Also, with different releases of Windows 10 (e.g. 1803, 1809 etc), the version of D3D9.dll appears to be different size and its details/versions differ. However, finding a copy of it on another computer in the house with the same version of Windows 10, I compared that copy to the one on my laptop and they where identical. For sanity reasons, I did install MiniTioune on the other computer and it worked.

Conclusion - there is another factor that impacts on the ability of MiniTioune to work correctly, but both Jean-Pierre and I did not have any clue what it was.

Looking back over the configuration of my laptop, I remembered that one setting I had altered when testing some other programs, was the preferred GPU. I had changed the settings so that my laptop preferred the NVIDIA GPU over the Intel one and, whilst everything else was working, I decided to revert this back to the default setting of letting the system decide.
And suddenly, CheckMiniTiouneDriverAndFilters_V0_5a.exe and MiniTioune_V0_8s.exe both ran without problems. Why this is, is not clear but I thought it useful for others facing simiar issues.

Jean-Pierre has stated in an email to me that "I do nothing else than ask Windows to display the video inside a renderer, and I suppose(?) that Windows try to display the video on the LCD using the Intel GPU and Minitioune renderer is on the other display using nVidia GPU".

My laptop is a Dell Precision 7720. Jean-Pierre thinks it is specific to a laptop that continues to use a lcd driven by the Intel GPU and an external display driven by a nVidia GPU - has anyone else experienced such problems with laptops/multiple graphics cards/altered GPU configurations to understand what is causing this problem?

Thanks Jean-Pierre for the great support.

73s

Ciaran
M0XTD
m0xtd

Re: Minitioune and UHD displays

Messagede f1faq » Mer 20 Fév 2019 22:54

Hello,

I have a laptop with i7 processor and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
When the Minitioune application runs on Internal INTEL HD630 graphic card, no problem.
If I force it to use the NVIDIA card, I get also the error message "DirectShow Start error -> verify your video.grf file.
If I click Ok, the Minitioune screen appears but I have no display (GRAPH always RED)
I have not found the problem

Pb NVIDIA.PNG
Pb NVIDIA.PNG (17.24 Kio) Vu 16614 fois

73 - Christian
F1FAQ
f1faq

Messagede F6DZP » Jeu 21 Fév 2019 06:48

If we do some search with Google, we can see recurent issue with this situation

https://support.parsecgaming.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003937292-Hosting-Parsec-On-A-Laptop-With-Both-Nvidia-and-Intel-GPU-s

https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1042945/directshow-not-working-consistently-virtualdub-graphstudionext-after-upgrade-to-416-34-drivers/?offset=6

Windows Directshow video renderer seems to have difficulties if we use both GPU at same time : one for the laptop LCD, one for the external display.

I use a NVidia GPU on my desktop with a 4k display and have no problem with the video renderer, but my Intel GPU is completely disabled in this configuration

Jean-Pierre F6DZP
F6DZP

Messagede g0mjw » Mar 22 Déc 2020 10:37

I am now getting the same error on a dual screen Asus Zenbook. Reducing it to one screen is not an option. The screens are built into the laptop and besides that the two screens are very useful. Minitioune is currently unusable on it. I don't think there is likely to be a fix any time soon. Another problem I have is with my dual screen main setup. Minitioune can't run on the second screen. I guess its time to move on to other software, which is a pity, but when Microsofts DLLs are all closed source there is no opportunity to debug nor contribute solutions.

Mike

Edit - I have a kludge solution which is to use the Nvidia graphics preferred graphics settings. Like this -

LowRes.jpg
LowRes.jpg (56.41 Kio) Vu 12753 fois

sorry for the low resolution - forum limits.

This does work but you need to do this setting for each programme and every time they change.
g0mjw

Messagede F6DZP » Mar 22 Déc 2020 19:37

Hi,

I don't know exactly the Minitioune version you are using.
We know that Windows 10 now doesn't display sometimes video in Graph rendering mode on a second monitor.

The new version of Minitioune can work also in VLC rendering mode . If you have dual screen, just write in the .ini that you want that Minitioune starts in the VLC rendering mode.
I use it very often on a dual screen system, we can also see Minitioune with left half on the first screen and right half on the second screen. we see the video on both monitors.
My main screen is a 4K 43" screen and the secondary screen a full HD screen

Minitioune_v1010_showing VLC rendering mode.jpg
Minitioune_v1010_showing VLC rendering mode.jpg (367.39 Kio) Vu 12743 fois

second remark:
it is very difficult to read something on you picture.
there is no limits to the size of the picture you can upload on this forum ( only limit is <20Mbytes)

I can show how I can work with 4 Minitioune at same time on one computer and receive at same time 4 different stations
:
4xMinitioune_working at same time_RX4different stations.jpg
4xMinitioune_working at same time_RX4different stations.jpg (1.67 Mio) Vu 12743 fois

as you see we are not limited by the size of the picture on this forum

The new Minitioune version is in beta test. Official version will be soon released.

Jean-Pierre F6DZP
F6DZP

Messagede mccla5214 » Dim 5 Sep 2021 03:01

Fighting the same issue on my dell laptop. Saw the post about the NVEDIA display adapter. Just for grins, went into the control pane/device manager/display adapters and DISABLED the NVDIA adapter and now everything works great.

Mike
KA5TDA
mccla5214

Messagede mccla5214 » Jeu 23 Sep 2021 02:54

Started using FreeStreamCoder and it hated my NVidia graphics card so tried to switch to the Intel. It would run for about 30 seconds and stop streaming. Back to the NVidia, the driver on their web site DOES NOT WORK. Kept having issues with it and finally deleted the driver and let Microsoft Update reinstall it. That fixed the Nvidia issue with FSC.

Second program to have an issue was MiniTinouner. For some reason it throughs that Directview error on start up. Downloaded 1.0.1.0r and after reading through the user manual on the new version, switched MT over to using VLC on start. MT now starts without issue, uses about 10% less CPU and is really working well so far. Have it running in 2M symbol rate with 1920x1080 resolution an 192bit audio. Love the new pie chart.

One question on the new beta version, is 55% null packets a good thing? Couldn't find anything in the manual about it.

Also could use some guidance on how to get the new beta version to show up in OBS. The old one I just put in the 127.0.0.1:10000 as the VLC address in OBS and it worked. Since the upgrade I'm unable to find a way since OBS won't show the 32bit VLC interface.

Thanks,

Mike
mccla5214

Forums Statistiques