Build your own USB tuner . Questions about hardware

Searching for source for Serit NIM Tuner

Messagede DL7BUR » Mer 17 Mar 2021 14:41

Hello,
I am looking for a source where I can purchase the Serit FTS-4334LU Tuner / NIM. Currently it seems like the BATC shop, which requires a membership and which I will probably need to pay customs tax for.

I was very tempted to purchase the E-Tiouner from Wimo until I noticed that the Elad version uses a different Tuner (FTS-4334L) which only allows for 250 MHz minimum. I don't expect 2 meter band to be allowed to use for DATV in Germany any time soon, but I still want the extended receive range. (Makes IF usage easier).

So, where, except for the BATC shop can I find the FTS-4334LU Tuner for purchase? Was the LU version specifically created for the BATC?
DL7BUR

Re: Searching for source for Serit NIM Tuner

Messagede F1YI » Mer 17 Mar 2021 15:02

Hello
the reference of the tuner is rather FTS-4334LV. I have not seen the LU reference on the Serit website.
http://www.serit.hk/product/product95.html
73+ jean
F1YI

Messagede F6DZP » Jeu 18 Mar 2021 07:43

Hello,

FTS-4334LU doesn't exist.

All MiniTiouners use the same schematic I have created in 2015 . only the power supply concept and PCB change.
The MiniTiouner V1 in 2015 used a Sharp or Eardatek NIM.

In september 2016 , My first prototype of the new MiniTiouner V2 used a Serit NIM FTS4335.(V or H)
In March 2017 the BATC used my schematic to propose the MiniTiouner V2 kit (https://wiki.batc.org.uk/images/6/6d/SERIF.pdf)
(We can see that, at this date, the NIM is a FTS4335)

Today, all MiniTiouners use a FTS4334L NIM (or FTS4335 for the first models built)
The FTS4334L was developed by Serit in March 2017 when I asked them to add a preamp (LNA) to the FTS4335. (L at the end of FTS4334 is for LNA)
This is the only difference. on both NIMs, the tuner chip is always a STV6120.
the last letter after FTS4334L can be V or H for Vertical or Horizontal implementation.
The tuner chip inside is a STV6120 ( dual tuner inside) that is given (on the datasheet) to work from 250MHz up to 2150 MHz
but , with MiniTioune software I can make work it from 144MHz up to 2450 MHz.

The MiniTiouner V2 kit from BATC was first sold with a FTS4335 and now with a FTS4334LV
The MiniTiouner-Pro (REF) can use a FTS4334LV (vertical) or a FTS4334LH (Horizontal)
The MiniTiouner-Pro (REF) is able to receive 2 stations at same time, using 2 USB plugs. (using DualTioune software)
The MiniTiouner-S uses a fTS4334LH

Today, one of the best is the MiniTiouner-S that you can buy directly to REF.
As do the MiniTiounerPro, the MiniTiouner-S can drive the 13v/18v voltage of 2 different LNB.

I have signed (with REF and F1TE) an agreement with the DARC to allow them to produce and sell MiniTiouner-S and MiniTiouner-Pro in the future.

Jean-Pierre F6DZP
Dernière édition par F6DZP le Lun 22 Mar 2021 20:27, édité 1 fois.
F6DZP

Messagede DL7BUR » Lun 22 Mar 2021 17:15

Thank you Jean-Pierre, that finally explains a lot. So essentially it is an out of specification use of the same Tuner (chip) to achieve 144 MHz.
DL7BUR

Messagede DL7BUR » Mar 20 Avr 2021 06:15

So, I would like to get back to my original question.
Where can I buy the Serit Tuner ?

I purchased the Tuner from the BATC shop along with some parts to build a MiniTiouner, but due to Brexit and weird implications on customs, I have not received the packet, and probably never will.

The DARC webshop does not really seem to be actually selling MiniTiouner kits. They seem still stuck in shortwave era.

The REF boutique only has a full MiniTiouner-S kit which is out of stock. (I would even go with a full kit like this, but prefer single tuner.)

Is there a source, where I can buy single units of the Serit Tuner ?
DL7BUR

Forums Statistiques